Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Blog-o-Mania ! ! !

Hey Everyone!
Try logging onto this:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/viola/
Yeah... I know... how geeky can you get? But I've had fun with this Yahoo group. They pester me 2 or 3 times/day with email updates, but I don't mind, and you can opt out of that. One regular contributor is LouiseLaChance-Price who sits next to me at the Willy-Filly and who comes over to play on Sunday Afternoons, so that's all very chummy.
Anyway, once in a blue moon someone has a useful question, fielded for comment, my present fave being something on the order of "what's your opinion of Eudoxa strings". Wellsir, as a unashamed advocate of Eudoxa viola strings, you can bet I put in my 2¢ worth!
It's also a bit revealing, with respect to how Very Bent Out Of Shape people get about trivia. That can be RAWTHER tireing unless you take a broad view.

By the way... what kind of strings do you all use, and why? I first used Dominants, since they're kind of a "benchmark" baseline string, always good, never-fail. Now I use Pirastro Obligatto (sp?), which I religiously Adore for the gooey mushy sound they give to my viola. All instruments are different, of course, so a discussion of what brand might prefer is not terribly meaningful. This summer I may well be sporting all-gut Pirastro Eudoxa, just to see. I like to experiment, and I like to blame all my shortcomings on [1] the rosin, [2] the strings, [3] the price of the viola, [4] the bow, [5] the quality of bow hair, and so on, into the night.

More later,
Jim bump

No comments: